2.01.2010

you're WELCOME..... jerk


Today, just before I walked into the Mystic Mart gas station, I noticed that a man was about to walk out. Rather than opening the door and scuttling on in, I decided to open the door and hold it open for the man. Upon exiting, the man avoided eye contact and kept his mouth shut. I looked at his eyes, extending his chance to acknowledge me. Nothin. So, whatever... I just walked inside, paid for gas, and walked back out. Then I saw him sitting in his car. I looked at him again and began to think, 'you jerk... you selfish...'

Suddenly I stopped. What was I doing? Why was I mad at that guy? I didn't hold the door open so that I would be praised or thanked or kissed on the cheek... I held it open to help him out. To make his day the slightest bit easier.

This story may be about holding the door at a gas station, but it certainly translates to many situations throughout our day. What are your motives in helping/serving/giving? Don't fool yourself into thinking that the "thank you" is the most important part.



1 comment:

Hughes Fioretti said...

Becoming a better person is a war made up of a series of tiny little battles just like this one.

Learning to live without needing recognition is very hard indeed.