9.09.2009

The Number Of Completion


Coincidence or something like it.

1. This past saturday, I was going through some text and found a set of notes taken by a friend from a church service that they had attended. I'm not certain how they came into my possession, but that didn't seem important. Frankly, the notes didn't seem important. I glanced slightly at them. It must have been a sermon on the parable of the sower and his seeds.
'Well that's interesting,' I thought as I threw the notes aside and continued with what I was doing.

2. While sitting in the second row at Status (by the way, I don't like the second row of anything, much less a place that I habitually seek freedom in comfort) I heard Cole begin to read a parable. What do ya know!? Of all the parables, it's that same one again.

This time my thought was, 'hey, that's what I read about yesterday.' Note the possessive reaction.

3. This morning I opened up a book that I rarely open, and turned toward a random page. There was a bit of scripture at the top of the page. It was the parable of the sower again.

Thought three: 'I need to look closely at this rather than just reading the surface.'



I've noticed in this past week how much more of an impact things have when they come in threes. It's actually happened in more cases than this. Something happens and you are aware of it. It happens again and you recognize it as a strange coincidence. It happens yet again and you realize that it is too significant to ignore. Somehow, at least for me, it takes repetition for me to take careful note of certain things.
Think of it this way:
You walk down a crowded street. You suddenly hear somebody shout something, but it blends easily with the other voices around you. Then you hear it again and you think, 'did somebody just shout my name?' Since you are unsure, you keep walking. When it happens again, you hear it clear as a bell. Somebody has called your name. That's when your attention finally turns to find the source.




Such is life.




1 comment:

Cole NeSmith said...

I wish it only took three times some times :)