9.17.2009

Observation of the Day


This afternoon, while sitting in a class, I observed that 12 of the 13 women in the room had their hair "done" (by this I mean that it appeared to have been professionally cut, colored, or maintained within the past couple weeks). What types of girls were these? All kinds. Different races, different sizes, appearing to be from several demographics... but the one category that was not represented... a woman of age. 

There's only one of those in the class... and she happens to be number 13. 

Heck, let's call her number 1 and let one of the others take up that unlucky spot. The point is that the oldest person in the class was by far the most unkempt. While arguments could be made about wisdom and experience, etc., I don't think that any of them fit in this specific situation. So let's go back to the real issue (assuming for the moment that they aren't connected). 

What's with the hair? What's with makeup, short skirts, working out, mirrors, the word "sexy," moisturizer, tweezing, plastic surgery, push up bras, manicures, or bikinis? 

Does it lean more toward idolizing yourself or loathing yourself? 

I'll be honest, this post was going somewhere completely different until I posted that picture of Taylor Swift. Now I'm forced to look at what I want and why I want it. Do I want something manufactured or do I want something natural? Whatever I want, do I want it because I really want it, or because I've been trained to want it. 

I don't know.

Last question:
Is it bad or foolish to make yourself look as pleasing to the eye as you're capable of looking?

1 comment:

Cole NeSmith said...

one comment... and you know what it is... so I can only say it in jest... You have a type.